When the sun is shining you’re bound to have guests coming over, whether it’s for afternoon tea or just for a quick catch up. If you’re like me and love a good coffee afternoon then finding the perfect treat to enjoy with friends is exactly what you need, and what could be better than some homemade shortbread?…Well how about one with a twist –
~ Chocolate & Chilli Shortbread ~
Makes 15 Prep: 15 mins + chilling time Total Time: 45 mins + chilling & cooling
175g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 125g soft unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar, (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 2 pinches of chilli flakes
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- 50g white chocolate, melted
Put the flour, cocoa, butter, sugar and chilli flakes into a food mixer and pulse until the mixture comes together into a soft, clay-like dough.
- Tip the dough into a bowl and mix the chocolate chips in. Put this onto a piece of clingfilm and shape into a log about 5cm wide in diameter, wrap around the clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least an hour so it firms up.
- Whilst this chills, preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas mark 3 and line two baking sheets. Once the dough has finished chilling cut the log into about 15 pieces, 1cm thick. Place your biscuits onto the lined sheets and bake for 22-25 minutes. Once cooked leave to cool completely before drizzling the melted white chocolate over the top.
These cookies will keep for up to 3 days in an air-tight container – if left un-iced they can be frozen.
156 kcals, 8g fat (5g sat. fat), 2g protein, 1g fibre, 19g carbs, 11g total sugars, 0g salt
All you need now is a pretty plate (or even a tiered stand if you want to be really fancy!), a hot drink and someone to enjoy them with! As always let me know how you get on and enjoy!