Next week sees the return of one of my favourite TV programmes…..The Great British Bake Off!!! So in honour of this I thought I’d share this scrummy recipe with you…
♥ Red Velvet Loaf With Berry Frosting ♥
Serves 12 351 kcal, 18.7g fat, 10.7g saturates, 29.8g sugars, 0.27g salt
- 200g unsalted butter
- 175g light brown soft sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp. cochineal red food colouring
- 150ml Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp. Madagascan vanilla extract
- 30g cocoa powder
- 150g icing sugar
- 75g soft cream cheese
- 250g summer fruits (reserve the juice if from frozen)
• Recipe •
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Grease a 2lb/900g loaf tin and line it with baking parchment.
- Put 100g of the butter into a bowl and beat together with the sugar either by hand or in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time with 1 tbsp. of flour, then stir in the red food colouring, yoghurt and vanilla extract. Sift in the remaining flour and cocoa powder and fold together until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 50 – 55mins until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst the loaf cools, make the frosting. Beat the remaining butter either by hand or with an electric whisk until smooth, then gradually sift in the icing sugar. Add to this the soft cheese and beat together until thick and pale. Spread this over the cooled cake and top with summer fruits and any fruit juice reserved if using a frozen bag of summer fruits.
My housemate is obsessed with anything red velvet so this bake is very popular at university! It’s so easy to make but it still looks so impressive on your table. Plus it’s got fruit in it…that makes it kind of healthy right?!
Have a go and let me know how you get on in the comments below!
(*Photo and Recipe credit go to Sainsbury’s)