So you’re off to uni, but there’s just one problem…You have no idea how to cook or what too cook on a budget! I thought for my first recipe I’d start with a classic student combination – sausages, beans and stuffing!
♦ Quick Sausage Cassoulet ♦
How long does it take?: 30mins Serves: 4 people How much does it cost?: ~ £1.34 per person
452kcals, 14.3g fat, 4.4g saturates, 13.7g sugars, 3.21g salt
- 1 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 454g reduced fat pork sausages
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 390g carton chopped tomatoes (preferably with basil, chilli and oregano)
- 150ml chicken stock (made with 1/2 a chicken stock cube and 150ml boiling water)
- 410g tin butter beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 410g tin cannellini beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 x 130g pack roasted garlic and herb stuffing mix
- 1/3 x 28g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, washed and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. In a large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the sausages for 5 minutes until they turn a golden brown then add all the diced vegetables and the smoked paprika – fry for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes, chicken stock and all the beans in and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the stuffing mix, half the parsley and 150ml of water , then set aside.
- Stir the remaining parsley into the sausage mix and season with ground black pepper. Pour this into a large, shallow baking dish (such as a pyrex dish) and spread the stuffing over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the stuffing is crispy on top then serve. You can serve this with salad, vegetables or even with some crusty bread.
This is actually really easy to make and who doesn’t like sausages and stuffing!!! Have a go and let me know how you get on!